PLANHEAT: Get your city ready for decarbonising its heating and cooling system!
Have you ever wondered how your city can meet its ambitious targets to decarbonise its heating and cooling system? Here is a new project that will offer knowledge, tools and training for supporting your city in such an ambitious goal: PLANHEAT.
PLANHEAT’s main objective is to develop and validate in real case scenarios an integrated and easy-to-use tool which will support local authorities in selecting, simulating and comparing alternative low carbon and economically sustainable scenarios for heating and cooling.
The PLANHEAT integrated tool will be designed to support local authorities in:
- mapping the potential of locally available low-carbon energy sources
- mapping the forecasted demand for heating and cooling
- defining and simulating alternative environmentally friendly scenarios
- understanding the interactions of these new scenarios with the existing infrastructures and networks
- identifying potential for further extension and upgrade of district heating and cooling networks
- evaluating the benefits in terms of energetic, economic and environmental gains.
PLANHEAT is funded under the European Union’s Research Programme Horizon 2020. Launched in October 2016, it will run for three years. The project team includes a wide range of research institutes, universities, companies and international organisations from 8 EU countries. Three cities are also part of the team: Antwerp (Belgium), Lecce (Italy) and Velika Gorica (Croatia). These cities will support the consortium in the design and validation of the PLANHEAT integrated tool, making up an interesting mix of different climate conditions, availability of input data as well as representing different development stages in the planning and development of the next generation heating and cooling system.
PLANHEAT intends to actively involve 50 EU cities in the project by offering dedicated training on low carbon heating and cooling planning and screening in depth their needs in order to deliver a tool which is really customized on cities’ needs.
You are a city and would like to get involved? Let PLANHEAT support you!